Re: apt: 0.3.6 and ldconfig: /lib/libNoVersion.so.1 (No such file or directory)

In foo.debian-user, you wrote:
> ever since I upgraded to apt 0.3.6 I get this error with just about every
> package I install
>
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /lib/libNoVersion.so.1 (No such file or
> directory), skipping
> -----
> any thoughts on how to fix this?

[prompt]# rm /lib/libNoVersion.so.1

> is this a problem with apt or ldconfig?

Neither.  It is caused by having a dangling symbolic link in your lib
directory.  ldconfig gives a warning and keeps going, which is the correct
behavior.  apt simply is calling dpkg, which is calling ldconfig in some
postinst scripts, which is the correct behavior.

It is (most likely) caused by you having (or used to have) a package on
your system that used a library called libNoVersion.so.1.y, which created
a symbolic link to specify the latest minor version.  Since the symbolic
link was created instead of part of the package, it did not get removed
when the package was upgraded or removed.  This was an error on the
part of the package that created the link, which we haven't been able
to identify.

If anyone has this link (/lib/libNoVersion.so.1) on their system, and
it points to an *actual file*, please identify the package that the
file belongs to and post it here.

-Mitch