System has become unstable

  My machine has started to reset itself.  No warning, no errors, resets
like someone hit the reset button on the case.  Is this a feature of 2.1?
Or something wrong with 2.2.5 and SMP?  I've noticed that it happens
whenever the memory used hits around 125 megs.  Is there a way I can clean
out the buffer (which is using about 80 megs)?

  The only package that stayed broken from the upgrade to 2.1 is emacs
(which I don't use).  Everything runs fine, the silly thing just resets
itself a couple of times a week now.  Really annoying.  Thanks for any
ideas.

--Dano