Re: Temporaly disable program

I like to remove the execute flags from the startup script in init.d. in
this case.

Then when the system boots and when it shuts down, I get a console
message that the daemon is not starting or stopping, reminding me that I
have disabled it.

For example, you could as root 'chmod a-x /etc/init.d/gpm', disabling
gpm at bootup.

When you want to play with it just 'chmod a+x /etc/init.d/gpm;
/etc/init.d/gpm start'.

I got this tip from this list some time back and often use it for
fooling with new daemons.

Michael Laing