Re: VIM questions

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 21:06 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 03:15:05PM +0100, Dave Swegen wrote:
> > 1) For some reason vim inists on showing file stats at the bottom of the
> > screen whenever I edit a file. It isn't too bad normally, but when I
> > invoked from mutt it waits for me to press a key. Very annoying. How do I
> > get rid of that behaviour?
>
>     I'd love to know how to shut that thing off as well.  Completely unneeded
> and annoying as all hell.

Just figured it out: the culprit is the ruler option. Turn it off and the
evil goes away...Bummer, really, as the ruler is slightly useful...

> > 2) How do I make use the dark background syntax settings?
>
>     Set them up in a local directory and have the local directory override the
> global syntax directory.

OK, I feel a bit dumb, but how do I do that?

> > 3) In the long running debian coding standards debate on devel, it was
> > mentioned that tabs shouldn't be used to indent, but spaces instead. How do
> > I set up vim to insert n amount of spaces when I press the TAB key? Or is
> > there some other key that is used for that purpose?
>
>     Here's from my .vimrc
>
> set tabstop=2
> set expandtab
>
>     expandtab is the one that will automatically set tabs to spaces.

Great! Just what I was looking for...

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.1 on Linux i386 2.2.3
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request