downloads...burst, then nothing

Hello,

I'm having a problem with downloads from my machine (slink). On the network I have at home, I can upload at the regular high speeds, but downloading form the machine (to a Win98 machine), whether it be by ftp, or by http gives me a little bit of the file, and then slows down to a total crawl. Obviously if it owrks up, I'm assuming all ofthe hardware is fine....is there some sort of buffer for this sort of thing that might be set too low?

thanks!!!
-lev