Re: Kernel 2.2.x: PPP routing problem?

{blush} You can tell I follow the digest now... darn. Apologies for the waste of bandwidth, but it's for archive continuity (and so people actually know wts(meg) I was going on about). Re-send, in reply to "Sean" <snmjohnson@iclub.org>, with the correct subject:

> <snip suggestion about killing inetd, as it worked for Sean>

Nope. inetd has been well and truly slaughtered, and nothing changes (even renamed it to make sure it didn't get restarted... call me strange).

Output of 'ps ax' while connected (after I've killed gpm, portmap & inetd):

init
[kflushd]
[kpiod]
[kswapd]
update
/sbin/syslogd
/sbin/klogd
/usr/sbin/atd
/usr/sbin/cron
-bash
-bash
/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
tail -f /var/log/debug
/usr/sbin/pppd call provider
sh /etc/ppp/ip-up ppp0 /dev/ttyS2 115200 195.147.135.
run-parts /etc/ppp/ip-up.d
sh /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/exim
/usr/sbin/exim -qf
ps ax

Makes no difference whether I kill gpm/portmap or not. I do notice that the last digits are missing from the IP, though... but that's probably just running off the end of the screen or something (80 chars in total, including all the other columns, just as it would on-screen). I think Exim is waiting for my smarthost domain name to resolve (or I just didn't stay on long enough for it to finish anyway).

I also let the 0setserial script do my serial ports by itself -- it got my IRQs wrong, and set the I/0 to 0x03e8 (which is right), whereas I set it to 0x3e8 (or the other way round; can't remember). That doesn't matter, though.

My HD is getting seriously warped with all this rebooting...

Anyone got any other plausible ideas?

Thanks,
  Kris

(Oh, and I changed /etc/hosts -> splodge.org. Dunno why I said that.)