Re: PPP woes

On Mon, 17 May 1999, R.Feenstra wrote:

> Sorry for jumping right in but you seem eager to help :)

> Where exactly can i find the option for turning ppp on in the kernel using
> make menuconfig ?
> I've looked till my head hurts but am not able to find it !
> I'm using kernel-source-2.2.1 is that the problem ?
> Any help would be greatly apreciated ...

Rene

Perhaps too eager. Do feel free to ask, but sometimes I speak too
soon ;)

I copy to the list so any foolish things I say can be corrected by
some of the good folk out there.

This time I have just compiled my own kernel for a newly installed
2.0 system and for my 2.1 sytem, these run so _perhaps_ I can talk
a little about kernel compiling.

You enable ppp in the kernel in the configuration.  Of course
you must have tcp/ip enabled as well, and your ppp packages
installed as well.

To compile a kernel, I recommend that you do it the Debian way,
with the kernel package. There many things are automated.

>From the README  file that appears on my system as

    /usr/doc/kernel-package/README

For the Brave and the impatient: [to compile the kernel]
1% cd <kernel source tree>
2% make config   # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and
   configure
3% make-kpkg clean
4% make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
5% dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
6% shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a
   means of
  # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

In the variant of make config that you use, you set the various
options (CPU, file systems supported, CDROM, SCSI, low level
drivers for boards, ppp, tcp/ip, and so on.)

You need to get and install the .deb kernel-package, and the
kernel source package for kernel 2.0.36, as well as bin86.

I will say that the command in 4% did not work for me. I did this
instead:

    4% make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0  kernel_image

The reason for the "custom.1.0" is so you can identify just
compiled kernel .deb. You will, of course need to read the README
and all the doc files BEFORE trying things.

If you are running slink (2.1) or earlier, 2.0.36 is a good solid
kernel. If you are running something later, and you are a
beginner, don't, slink (2.1) is the latest stable version of
Debian.  You don't want to run unstable versions. Heck! I DON'T
want to urn unstable versions.

If I can help you further, feel free to ask. Only, understand that
while I know some things, and am willing to share, there are many
things I'll have to ask about on the mailing list, even as we
discuss your problems.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (Hope this qualifies:)