Re: I'm really confused by bash, .bashrc, .bash_profile, .profile, etc, etc, etc

Mark Wright <mwright@pro-ns.net> writes:

> Is there a good system for setting variables, aliases, etc that need to be
> set for user X, whether I log in at a login prompt or using su?  I'm
> confused by all the different .profile options (there are at least 3 for
> bash, why is that?)

Put all your variables in your ~/.profile file, for example:

HTTP_PROXY=http://fasthttp.sympatico.ca:80
export HTTP_PROXY

and then source it from your ~/.xsession like this:

. ~/.profile

That's one way of doing it. This ensures that all your environment
variables propagate into your X session.

--
Arcady Genkin
"... without money one gets nothing in this world, not even a certificate