Re: XF86Setup

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, moron wrote:

> I've run XF86Setup a dozen times in the last day or two, but I wasn't aware
> of being invited to do anything I would call 'configuring the order of
> modes'.  Certainly, nobody asked me if if I wanted virtual desktop.  But
> you've got three desktop screens running, which gives me hope.

That's in xf86config, not XF86Setup. If you know what settings you want,
xf86config is much nicer. If you don't know the stats on your hardware, or
you're new to X, XF86Setup is the way to go.

> A fundamental problem I seem to have is that when I run startx it only looks
> at the VGA16 section and only at the 'depth 4' subsection. (That's the only
> subsection XF86Setup writes in XF86Config, and when I added an 8-bit
> subsection with a different screen size it was ignored.)  If I comment it
> out, it returns an error and refuses to start.  I have an API Mach64 card
> which is detected together with chip, ramdac etc with no complaint, and
> XF86Setup writes all the details in XF86Config.  So does anyone know why I'm
> stuck with a 16-colour one-size display?  You've all been very patient up to
> now.  Please don't give up on me.

Ok, first thing to check: you're using the XF86_MACH server? Look at the
first line of /etc/X11/Xserver. Alternatively, you could be using
XF86_SVGA. If it's only looking at the VGA16 section of the XF86Config
file, i wouldn't be surprised that you ended up using XF86_VGA16.

One test to try at this point is to login on a console and explicitly
start your desired X server. For example, "XF86_MACH". Note that you won't
be able to actually do anything, since there won't be any applications or
anything open. You _could_ login to a second console and run the window
manager from there... But getting startx to do it for you is much nicer.