error executing gnome update for slink 2.1

After installing the GNOME update for debian 2.1 (using apt-get as described in
http://www.gnome.org/start/getting_debian.shtml) and trying to run the gnome
desktop, I got the following errors in the file .xsession-errors:

panel: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgnomeui.so.32: undefined symbol: gdk_imlib_get_cache_info
xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
/usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: got signal 11 (Segmentation fault)

/usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker warning: trying to start alternative window
manager...
/usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: got signal 11 (Segmentation fault)

/usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: crashed while trying to do some
post-crash cleanup. Aborting immediatelly.

my .xsession file is this:

xterm &
wmaker &
panel

I am using a Pentium II PC with 64Mb RAM and Debian 2.1 with a custom 2.0.36
kernel.

Anyone knows why I get this error?

Thank you very much.

Renzo Bagnati