I worry...

Hi,

I do not really know if this belongs here, but I could not find anywhere else
seeming more "appropriate" for this than among Debian users.

I have chosen Debian for my personal use, lately my company has chosen Debian
on several servers (including our web server), and we have suddenly become very
dependent on all these people out there making Debian so damn good (mostly for
free).

Then I keep reading and seeing the "commercial" distributions, especially RH
rushing forward trying to position themselves in a market where they obviously
see the opportunity to make big bucks. And with the big bucks comes all the
nastiness of high finance business, and I am afraid one of these will "win" and
leave the ones that chose quality and versatile over hype in a jam because all
the talented people in the Linux world suddenly see the possiblilty to make
money, and a lot of it.

We had a hard time finding someone willing to do our Debian server. All
of the ones we contaced to get our web server built told us they felt "more
confident doing a RH install" or they said: "RH is pretty strong in this ares",
and some of them even had some nifty deals for us if we chose RH. How will the
Debian community be able to fight in a market like this in the future?

I dread a situation where Debian becomes a distribuion based on what RH
employees contribute on their spare time.

Please tell me I am wrong! :)

Regards,
Christian Dysthe
Email: cdysthe@bigfoot.com