Confused package database

I somewhat screwed up my package database and had to revert to an old one.
Now it thinks I have some stuff that is installed which isn't and some that
it thinks is installed and is not. WHen I run install in dselect, I get a
lot of these. I guess i'm saying, how do I reinitialize the package
database?

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `wdiff' missing, assuming
package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `cftp' missing, assuming
package has no files currently installed.

THanks,
Brendon