Re: Changing IP address

Dan Willard wrote:

>  You are correct that your ISP is clueless.  Going by the numbers that you
> sent, your home network and theirs are one network with the same network
> number and broadcast number.  And why your router calls out whenever a
> broadcast packet is sent.

Dan, Thanks for the information.  I was kind of thinking that they had a
problem with
what they gave me.  (see below).

>   Now, provided that the numbers for your range are correct, your linux box
> is trying to take the broadcast number for your home network.  And yes, the
> first number in a range is the network number (even) and the last is the
> broadcast number (odd), your reasoning looks good to me.  Gonna take a
> little work to straighten it out.
>   You should call your ISP and varify your home network numbers.  Yell at
> 'em if they give you a wrong subnet, its a major security hole for both you
> and them. (Unless you are using your office's network, then different rules
> apply).
>  Both your win95 and linux boxes need the same subnetmask number.  You'll
> need to change you linux box's ip to something other than 103 (100 looks
> good).  You should also change your router's subnet to match
> (204.178.54.101/29 if the router doen't like it try /21, some routers drop
> the first 8 bits) and change its network and broadcast numbers.  You will
> also probably have to change the route in the router to point to the new
> network.
>   I hope I haven't forgoten anything.  Now, don't you just love computers
> and networks?

Humm....

Basically, my ISP gave me three IP addresses (I had to twist his arm as
normally he changes A LOT more for static IP addresses.  I have .101,
.102, and .103 on his network with .253 being his system.  His
suggestion is to use 255.255.255.0 for the netmask, with .0 for the
network and .255 for the broadcast address.  I have asked him a few
question on this issue and I think he is already getting tired of me! :O

Oh, one more piece of information If I pull the power on my router, my
pc can't connect to the samba on the linux at all!

I have the feeling that if I push to much, I am going to become a
internet orphan again.  In my location, I am having a very hard time
trying to get ISDN service within my local calling area.  I am basically
waiting for DSL to arrive later this summer.  This said...

Is there any way for me to use the three IP addresses they assigned to
me?  I know the router (pipeline 50) has some fancy features and maybe
they can help.  I tried the following this morning after your last
message.

IPADDR .103
NETMASK 255.255.255.240
NETWORK=.96
BROADCAST= .111
GATEWAY= .101

on my linux system.  The thought was that I could use 4 bits to define
my network (FF.FF.FF.F0) and with the number 101, 102, 103, it would
define the block between .96 and .111

Unfortunately, after I changed each system to these settings, the
network still behaved in the same way.

Can I know the pipeline 50 has filters, DHCP, NAT, and other fancy
features.  Unfortunately, I do not have a manual for the device.

Thanks for the help,

Doug