Weird PPP problem

Hi

I have just installed Slink on my laptop with KDE 1.1.1 debs on top of
that. I am having a weird problem with KPPP. If I run as root it works
fine but if I run a a user it fires up the modem OK connects to the
access router and starts the ppp deamon. The weird thing is that then
it NAKs the access routers request to ue CHAP authentication and then
the link drops so I get a "pppd died unexpctdly error".
Why should the user affect whether or not I can use CHAP ?

Yours puzzled

Pat