Re: Mission critical Debian

I'm using it for two mission critical point-of-sale support applications
for a Fortune 10 company.  In fact we have used Linux in one of these
roles since mid-95 (starting w/ Slackware and migrating to Debian later.)
Plans for others are in the works.  Slackware was a mess, but Debian is
very elegant and easy to manage/upgrade.

If I say which company, I will likely be fired.  I work here as a
contractor.  Suffice it to say that over 8,000 stores are involved, and
the role of Linux (Debian) is increasing.  We are replacing AIX systems
with it.

The management in this corner of the corporation has been convinced that
Linux is every bit as good, and in many ways better, than AIX in our
highly customized environment.  Believe it or not, support is one major
reason for the switch.  Others are ease-of-use and cost, both up-front
and ongoing.

Regards,

Jeff