Re: Leased pppd LCP ConfReq trouble...

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Alexey G. Khramkov wrote:

> I'm configuring leased line to my ISP. ISP has a Cisco router. When I
> try to connect the pppd hangs up the line after 10 (by default) sended
> LCP ConfReq packets. No other messages in /var/log/ppp.log with debug
> and kdebug 7 options in /etc/ppp/options.

<snippage>

> My /etc/ppp/options:
> asyncmap 0:crtscts:lock:modem:netmask 255.255.255.252:noipdefault:
> -detach (for test reason):-pap:-chap(ISP doesn't use any for leased):
> debug:kdebug 7 (I don't sure it's work, but anyway):noipx

> My /et/ppp/options.ttyS1:
> crtscts
> 194.84.224.26:194.84.224.25
> netmask 255.255.255.252
> -chap
> -pap
> modem
> persist
> defaultroute

I look very suspiciously at the IP address configuration, the netmask
configuration and the -chap, -pap part which, I note, you have both in the
command line that calls pppd and the /etc/ppp/options file. I don't know
how it works at your ISP (obviously) but Brokersys requires that all
incoming callers authenticate, even the permanent connections.  (We don't
run any "nailed up" circuits, so literally anyone can call the incoming
lines.)  Your local:remote IP addresses don't apparently match the
netmask.  (At brokersys, the addresses for the local and remote would be
in different subnets---the PPP connection makes a natural boundary for
transferring between subnets and this maximizes the number of available
addresses for the end user.  Both of the addresses you give are inside
the same subnet.) You might try replacing the line

> 194.84.224.26:194.84.224.25

with one that reads
:

(That's just a colon all by itself on the line.)  Or delete that line and
add the options "ipcp-accept-local" and "ipcp-accept-remote".

> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
> <accomp>]

It sure would be nice to know what the ConfReq packets look like.  You
might try disabling magic number negotiation (-mn) and compression (I
think it's "-pc") and see what that does.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/