Re: Enter mail, end with a single ".".

On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 16:12:59 +1000 (EST), Jiri Baum wrote:

>Rolf Edlund:
>> Sometimes when trying to send mail, I get these message (sendmail -q -v):
>>
>>  354 Enter mail, end with a single ".".
>>  >>> .
>>
>> And it just sits there, doing nothing ?
[...]
>3) you do know that this is a server, and that user-friendly mail programs
>exist, don't you?

I think you don't get the point.

He is trying to empty sendmail's queue, i.e. send pending messages to the
receiver-MTA.

The above quoted message ("Enter mail") is a message that the receiver-MTA
issues during the SMTP dialog. Obviously something went wrong, like the
connection timed out.

A typical dialog looks like this:

  helo foobar
  mail from<me@my.host.com>
  rcpt to:<you@there.com>
  data
  <message>
  .
  quit

The above message ("Enter mail") is being issued by the receiver-MTA after
the "data" command has been issued.

HTH.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\