Re: CD-RW drives and Linux

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 05:07:47PM -0400, Alec Smith wrote:
> The cheapest option would be the IDE/IDE combo. Would an IDE CD-RW be
> easily used in Debian? Also, which drives are recommended? I'm more
> interested in burning CD-R discs than the ReWrite capabilities.

With the right kernel options, as mentioned before, an IDE CD-RW works
perfectly. I have a IDE/IDE setup with an a-open cd reader and a
Philips 3610 writer. No problems at all, except 2speed writing is nog
so fast.

The ideal setup depends on what your intentions are. For copying audio
cd's, I think scsi might be better if you want to copy audio cd's on
the fly, but that might not be so important...

As cdrw discs are now only twice as expensive as cdr discs, I think the
cdrw option is very useful. I use it for backups, for example.

I'm working on a script for creating (compilation) audio cd's. By now it
sort of works (a whole lot better than the windows software that was
shipped with my Philips drive, but that's not too hard :-)

I'll try to put it on the web this week and I'll post a link.

Wouter