Exim & SMTP

I am using Debian Slink with Exim, configured for an Internet Site,
to receive and send mail using SMTP.
Everthing is configured using default configuration paraemeters.
That is relaying mail through smtp for nonlocal domains is disabled.

Now the question is wether Exim rejects smtp requests from localhost.
I have installed netscape communicator and as the Outgoing Mail (SMTP)
server I am trying to setup localhost.
When I try to send mails a dialog appears, informing me that the smtp
server does not accept the connection or sth. like that.

What might be causing this behaviour? Is it because of the config
defaults of exim?

TIA