How do I setup smail as a gateway for another email program

I have a network that consists of a debian slink machine as a firewall
running smail.  It has local email on it for some users.  These users
can access their email either through POP3 or IMAP.  It works great.
The problem is that I have a Novell machine inside the network running
Groupwise 5.5 that needs to be able to send and receive email to the
Internet through the debian machine.  The debian machine can currently
relay the messages out.  The problem that I am having is that the no
messages are allowed in to the Groupwise.  I have tried various things
and have gotten various 5xx error messages on smail.  The novell machine
does not have a fully qualified dns entry.  It is on a private class B
network.  I desparately need the current situation fixed.

Thanks in advance
--
Bruce Jackson

Linux:  because reboots are for hardware upgrades!