Re: RedHat 6.0 Root Remote Login

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 06:53:13PM +0200, Rudy Broersma wrote:

> Since I updated my RedHat 5.2 box to RedHat 6.0, I got some problems.
>
> For example, in RH 5.2 I edited /etc/securetty and aded pty1 and pty2, and
> ttyp0, ttypS1, ttypS2 etc, etc. So I could login with root at terminals and
> telnet sessions.
>
> But in RedHat 6.0 this doesn't work at all... Now,,, anybody got any ideas?

Security issues aside ... you can add these lines to /etc/securetty:
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
Yes, that's 0..9 each on its own line.  Why?  I got this advice by
searching with your subject string on deja.com.  I noticed the same
thing with a Red Hat 6.0 box I use for development work.  Another post
on deja.com claims that Red Hat support says that root telnet is not
possible on Red Hat 6.0.  You be the judge.

Remember that unless you're behind a firewall that you trust, with
coworkers you ALL trust, telnet as root is a security concern.

BTW, one sure solution to Red Hat problems is to switch to Debian ;-).