Re: Fax

=> On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Cuno Sonnemans wrote:
=>
=> > Hi,
=> >
=> > I've installed efax, but I can only
=> > fax asci text.

Faxing from Linux works very well, but there is a steep learning curve
compared to the Windows apps like WinFAX. After a couple of years using
Linux it has only been a few months since I cracked it.

Basically, print from an application to a (postscript) file. Then enter
the following:

gs -q -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=letter.%03d input.file.ps
</dev/null (all on one line)

Change 'input.file.ps' to whatever you called your printed file.

Then:

efax -d /dev/ttyS1 -o1 -t TXXXXXXXX letter.001

Change XXXXXXX to the telephone number you wish to call. Change the
serial port to match your own setup. You might need to make changes to
the efax config file for your modem. I have to run this as root, so I
add 'sudo' to the start.

To print a fax:

efix -ops -r600 -s1 <letter.001 | lpr -Pprint_queue_name

I use r600 because my laser printer is capable of this resolution. YMMV.

If you use Applixware, I have a macro which will allow faxing directly
from the app, just like with Windows.

Hope this helps.

--
Phillip Deackes