modem configuration

A friend installed Debian Potato on my box a while ago when I was using the Ethernet at school, but now I must use a modem at home and I can't get it to work.

Here is what I've done:

Using setserial I found
IRQ: 3
Port: 0x02f8
then pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
then I uncommented the lines that corresponded with the values I got with setserial (I'm pretty sure they are correct)
Then I ran "ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem"
and I made sure isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf is running at start up.
I configured my modem in gnome-ppp, but when I try to connect nothing happens.
I then ran "pon", but still nothing happened.

Any thoughts (keeping in mind I'm a beginner)?

--Stephen