Re: tail -f /var/log/messages and top

Hi Patrick,

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 10:26:43AM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:

> enterprise:/home/patrick# tail -f /var/log/messages
> Jul 28 07:14:11 enterprise -- MARK --
[ ... lots of marks removed ... ]

This is syslogd's way of telling you that it's still alive (you don't
have to feed it, though.)  Another place to look for error messages
would be /var/log/syslog, if you are using the default
syslong.conf-file.

Take a look at this file, maybe you need to customize it a little to
see more messages or maybe the messages you want are written to a
different file.

I don't know what might cause your top problem.

> I'm having problems with dropped connections and would like to be able to
> use these commands.  If this is a RTFM, please do let me know which FM to R.

PPP usually writes to /var/log/syslog, some, but not as many of the
daemons's messages are sent to /var/log/messgaes, too.

So long -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
               *** If only women came with pulldown menus and online help. ***