clnt_call errors in NIS

After upgrading to the new 3.3.3 version of nis in potato, I started
getting the following errors when logging in or doing an su on nis
client machines:

yp_all: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

The error doesn't seem to affect anything besides taking something
like 30 seconds to log in (while it waits for whatever it's waiting
for to time out).

I also upgraded to libc6 2.1.2 recently, but the error did not
manifest itself until I upgraded nis, so it seems like something is
wrong in the nis package.  I'm running kernel 2.2.10, same version of
libc and same version of nis on both server and client.

Thanks for any help,
    Max

--
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say