Re: X11amp for 2.1?

*- On 29 Jul, John Gay wrote about "Re: X11amp for 2.1?"

> Actually, I installed from CD with dselect. I haven't set up my internet
> connection, as phone service here in Ireland is a bit expensive. I usually
copy
> anything I need to floppy at work and bring it home. I suppose I could do this
> using dpkg and such, right? I'll have a look around the sources directory and
> see what I can find for xmms. Thanks for the pointer and info.
>
> Cheers,
>
>      John Gay

In that case you will need three files for the xmms source from the
unstable branch, xmms*.dsc, xmms*.orig.tar.gz, xmms*.diff.gz.  You still
need the dpkg-dev and what ever headers it might use, it appears to use
a fair amount of libs so look for the -dev versions in your slink
archive. If they are not available in slink then it could get ugly if
you have to build a bunch of other debs. Make sure not to change the
size of the tar.gz and diff.gz file. First install dpkg-dev and then you
can put all the xmms* files in one directory and run the command

dpkg-source -x xmms*.dsc

This will extract the source and apply the Debian diffs.  Then cd into
the directory and run

./debian/rules binary

Another option is to ask the list if anybody has it compiled on slink,
I don't so I can't help you in this regard.

Good luck,

--
Brian

This sound like a good learning experience, but I'll follow your second option
first.
Has anyone compiled xmms on slink?
Would someone with more experience at this like to give it a try first?
If someone has already done the leg work, I could avoid re-inventing the wheel.
Otherwise, I'll give it a crack.

Cheers,

     John Gay