scripting a potato upgrade

Hey all, I'm in the process of grabbing the lib/base/admin and a few
other dirs of files for a potato upgrade from slink. By nature of
dependancies, it can take a few times through dpkg -i to get everything
installed properly and I was thinking of scripting the process but I've
never really written any scripts before. I was wondering if someone
could point me in the direction of somewhere I can look to learn--at
least enough to have dpkg run through a couple directories a few times.

|cheshire|