Re: scripting a potato upgrade

Stephen Pitts <smpitts@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

> Why not use APT? Here's my /etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable non-US/main
> non-US/contrib n
> on-US/non-free
>
> To upgrade: "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade". It handles
> everything and
> installs all of the packages in the right order.
>
> Because of the glibc2.1 upgrade, I'm not sure how to do it your way.
> I've
> used APT since before slink and it did everything in the right order.

A while ago I sort of got to grips with apt and decided to upgrade my
system from Slink to Potato. Since I have only a 56K modem and pay for
my call charges it was with some trepidation that I entered apt-get
dist-upgrade just before going to bed one night. I had set a time-out on
my ppp connection and woke up to find that I had been connected around
four hours. Weighing up the cost of purchasing the CDs and four hours
worth of telephone calls it was clear the ppp method had won. Since then
I regularly to apt-get dist-uptdate to ensure I always have the latest
packages.

Occasionally I have problems in that a package is corrupt, or the
process stalls for some reason, but always apt gives clear suggestions
as to how to overcome the problem. The blockage must be cleared for apt
to continue to install/configure packages it has downloaded. IMHO this
is a weakness of apt - once I had lost all networking (ppp) and my ISP
told me my port 25 was closed. Somehow I realised that a recent apt
session had not completed. Can't remember what caused the problem, but I
cleared it and apt started loads of configuration. After that I had my
system back to a functional state.

--
Phillip Deackes
Debian Linux (Potato)