Re: Configuring a gateway

"Ivan J. Varzinczak" wrote:

> > Ok, so if I'm getting this right you want both machines to serve as gateways between
> > networks A and B? Of course I'm curious as to why you'd want such a thing if you already
> > have a gateway. Or are you trying to do something like: routerA serves network A for packets
> > destined for network B which the new router, routerB, will serve network B for packets
> > destined for network B. Is that it?
> >

>    Humm, not   really.  In fact   I'm planning to  configure  this new
> gateway in this manner:
>

>    -+--+--+--+--+--[gateway B]------[gateway A]----------> Internet
>     |  |  |  |  |       |
>       domain of A       |
>                    domain of B
>
>    At a first glance, B is in the subnet of A. In fact this is
> because we're planning  to replace A by  B in a  near future. So, I
> only need B working as a gateway.

Ok, I'm catching on now. But is [gateway A] physically on the A network along with [gateway B]? If
I'm understanding you then there's a network, let's say 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0.
[gateway A] along with a collection of other machines all share this network. Now you want to
split off a subnet of 192.168.1.0, let's say 192.168.1.192 netmask 255.255.255.192 and you want
[gateway B] to be hooked to both networks and provide routing between all of the above.

Yes, you can do this. You'll accomplish this by setting [gateway B] to answer ARP requests on the
192.168.1.0 network for any hosts on 192.168.1.192 and then simply setting up the routes with the
proper subnet masks in [gateway B] will work for you.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com