Re: scsi hd idle spin down

Eberhard Burr wrote:
> > I've two SCSI harddisks and what I'm looking for is a tool/kernel patch
> > that spins down those drives after some idle time and up again when
> > needed.
>
> what makes you believe that spinning down drives is needed at all?
The reason that the fans to keep the disks cool are too loud for me to
have my box running during the night (my box is in my room). :)

> > PS: fyi: the scsi controller is an AHA 2940 U2W, the disks are IBM
> > DRVS09V and there's one swap partition on each of them. I've five md
>
> have you had a look at IBM's specs as to how many spin-up-spin-down
> cycles these drives are specified for? IIRC, these are server-drives
> and thus not specified to survive a lot of power-cycles but rather a
> log time of continuous operation.

I doubt I'll have problems.. (At least I hope so :)

--
Weasel                    http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~ppalfrad/
PGP encrypted messages prefered.   See my site for my PGP key.