Re: Toshiba T1910

On 25 Aug 1999, sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:
> From: alex aitkin <s9404086@student.anu.edu.au>
> Subject: Toshiba T1910
> Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:30:37 +1000
>
> s9404086> Problem - I have 123M of HDD to work with on my Toshiba 486 laptop-
> s9404086> I was just going to install Linux on it, but my T1910 uses a .exe
> s9404086> file to manipulate BIOS settings, and this file runs under MS-DOS.
> s9404086> SO . . .will Linux allow access to BIOS settings some other way,
> s9404086> OR, can I run MS-DOS emulation software if I need to alter the
> s9404086> BIOS, or do I need to set up a separate bootable partition with
> s9404086> MS-DOS, OR does it not really matter?
> s9404086>
> s9404086> Can anyone help me with this dilemma?
>
> there is a debian package called toshutils:
>
>  This is a collection of utilities to control a toshiba laptop. It includes
>  programs to turn the fan on and off, to view the power mode, and to set
>  the supervisor password.
>
> i don't know whether it will work for your laptop though or whether it
> has all of the functionality that you need.

I doubt if it will work with this machine; it's fairly model-specific,
e.g. the fan stuff will work on my Toshiba 4000CDT but the program to
change the boot setup doesn't.

In answer to the original question, I find that tsetup.exe doesn't work
under dosemu, which is hardly surprising  since it's only an emulator.

I should think the best plan would be to use linload.exe to boot Linux
and to write autoexec.bat and config.sys files so that you can choose
which system to boot. IMO linload.exe is a better way to boot than Lilo
in any case.

BTW isn't 123M rather small for Linux?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)