800x600 Xwindows screen format

Does anyone have tips on using XWindows on a low resolution screen (eg
laptop)?

I find that lots of programs (eg emacs, xemacs, xnetscape, and from memory
xfig) open up windows that a too big to fit on the screen, and it is
awkward have to resize the window automatically after reloading. I
don't particularly want to go into each application one by one to try
and change the default load position, either - as I would have to
find the special procedure for every application.

...or is this a bug in my window manager (fvwm95)? Would
using another window manager help? I know from the window manager
sets the windows initial size and position, but the application
can override it. I have no idea if this is the case or not
for the above applications.

(actually - I am not using this computer - I prefer fvwm)

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>