Re: How to clear console before login promtp ?

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 12:20:12PM +1000, Peter Ross wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Alex V. Toropov wrote:
> > Is there any way to clear console window (text mode) before login promt ?
> >

> clear > /tmp/clear.txt
> cat /tmp/clear.txt /etc/issue > /etc/issue

If memory serves, the redirection gets processed prior to executing the
command... so that would clobber /etc/issue and leave you with only the
clear-screen control sequence.

In any event, I think that a cleaner solution would be to run mingetty
on the desired console(s).  Just install mingetty in the usual fashion,
and edit the ``getty'' lines in /etc/inittab to look something like:

     1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1

Then run ``telinit q'' to force init to reread it's configfile.