Re: [Debian: Grafikkarte] 3Dfx (MAXI Gamer 3D)

Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 01:43:57PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Today I have found a 3Dfx graphic card in my miracle sack
> >
> > Currently I am using the 'miroCrystal 40 sv' which works very good,
> > but the 3Dfx und mor then 2 years younger and it will have more Power.
>
> You will still have to rely on your graphic card for 2D graphics.
> The 3Dfx card will give you fast 3D graphic display for some
> specific applications.

This may not be true if it's a newer 3Dfx card... some of them do both
2D and 3D...  but w/out knowing the card I can't say for sure.

> > Annd which VGA server must I use with Debian/DLD ???
>
> AFAIK, you cannot use the 3Dfx with X. You must still use your video card.

Voodoo3 is now supported by Xfree86 3.3.4.  Voodoo2/else has been
supported for a while.

> On Linux, you will only be able to use the 3Dfx 3D accelaration with
> the applications specially designed to use it (Quake 2 is the only one
> I know of) from a VGA console.

Or have an accelerated Server... don't know how accelerated Xfree's
is tho.

--Evan