Re: Why use Debian? Why not Red Hat?

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 06:11:13PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

[Slow releases]
>     This is a fallacy.  The longest Debian release cycle I could find on
> record was 7 months.  In fact, that is the average.  Red Hat and Slackware
> have both had 7 month long release cycles.  The shorter ones were for ugly
> bugs they needed to fix that Debian's release cycle pretty much avoids.

It's not just the time between releases that's important.  For various
reasons (long freezes and unfortunate timing among them) Debian has
produced releases which were behind the state of the art when they were
released - X and the kernel in slink, for example.  This gives the
impression that Debian releases are much older than they actually are.

Aside from things like the kernel and X (which provide hardware support
that some people need) there's not much wrong with old software, but
people still seem to want the new stuff (right now GNOME is the hot
thing).

I'd guess that a large proportion of the people who want more than just
more up to date hardware support really want to be riding unstable.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/