Re: Why use Debian? Why not Red Hat?

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Richard E. Hawkins wrote:

> > True package management, including installation scripts.  And a process
> > in place to keep packages out of the main distribution that don't follow a
> > standard for file locations, and other stuff.
>
> But the biggest single reason:  this list.

Redhat has an excellent support list also.

As far as I'm concerned, the reason for choosing either Debian or Red Hat
is purely a matter of personal taste.  If you don't like one, try the
other.  Red Hat is easier to install and has more stuff included with it
(stuff which is in non-free in Debian), but Debian's package system is
much better.  The two also take very different approaches to maintaining
the software.  Even so, they are still both Linux and are still, given a
running system, about 99% alike.