Re: Machine freezes with xdm but not startx

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Stuart Ballard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A while ago I posted to this list a question about the fact that my
> machine completely freezes up on a regular basis (with a pretty pattern
> of stripes on the screen) when I start X with xdm, but works fine when I
> start it with startx. I got a reply in a private email from someone
> who's address I've lost (sorry!) asking me whether by any chance I had
> an S3VirGE DX graphics card, which I do (at least according to
> SuperProbe). I was just wondering if that person (or anyone else) has
> made any progress on tracking down or fixing this problem, because I'd
> love to get my machine running xdm again... startx is so much clumsier.
>
> If more information about my system would help just let me know! (I can
> give software configuration information very quickly, but hardware
> information may take a while to figure out unless there's some command,
> like SuperProbe, that will tell me).

Hi,

I have an S3 ViRGE GX (if I remember right) 'vedio' card manuf. by SIIG,
and I had a similar problem at times with it. My current configuration is
running XFree86 3.3.3.1 from netgod, using the S3V X server. I'm also
using kernel 2.2.10 with the SVGA framebuffer for text console, because
svgatextmode likes to hard lock my system. Mine seems to work fine with or
without framebuffer enabled.

Hope this sheds some light for you.