RE: Apt & Firewall variable

From: Jon Hughes <jhughes@sccme.com>

"I'm reading a Debian Installation & Guide to use book and it states
that I can put in a variable to let apt know that you have a
firewall/proxy between you and the outside world.

"The variable (# export http_proxy=http://gateway:1234/) is to be
typed into the command line...but is there a file where I can put that
into so I don't have to type it whenever I want to apt-get something?"

Well, there are a couple places.  If you'd like the http_proxy
environment variable to apply to your execution of Apt alone, then you
can rename apt-get to apt-get.real and write a wrapper script called
"apt-get".

The script would look something like this:

#!/bin/sh
## Apt-get wrapper script: to set environment variables before
## executing apt-get.
## Last update: xxxx/xx/xx

# Set proxy env. var.
HTTP_PROXY="http://my.proxy:<port>" ; export HTTP_PROXY

# Call apt-get.real and pass any parameters
/usr/bin/apt-get.real $@

## End script

If you want the environment variable to apply to your login shell, and
therefore all programs, put the HTTP_PROXY line in your
.bash_profile.  Case is important, so if the variable is supposed to
be "http_proxy", use that.

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html