statically linking libc6

Hi there,

    SInce I upgraded my system to glibc2.1, there's some vital software
that refuse to run, even if I compile it again from scratch... Now, I'm
willing to try some desperate moves before I give up and try to
downgrade my whole system (that, by now, is 100% potato)...

    So, as I'm not a *real* programmer, so I can't go on tracking the
bugs on the original code, I was trying to recompile the program w/
libc5 (thus getting rid of the libc6-related problems), but for some
reason the compilation couldn't be finished... I think the problem may
be related to the PGI Fortran compiler (unfortunately I have to use this
one, as fort77 seems to refuse part of the code), but I couldn't think
of a solution...

    There's one solution that I think *maybe* could work, but I'll need
some help from you all... I though of compiling the program statically
linked to ALL the libraries it uses in my home PII-300 (running RedHat
5.2 & glibc2.07) and then installing it here, in my work's
486-DX4/100... But then, there's a whole lot of question in my head...

a) Will it work? It uses not only libc6, but lesstif & xlib6g, too...

b) How do I tell the compiler to statically link EVERY library ?

c) How do I make sure the compilers make 486-compatible binaries,
instead of PII-optimized ones?

TIA,

    Guilherme Zahn

PS: I'm *really* afraid that one of my next posts will have to be on
'how to fully downgrade a debian system w/out wiping out the whole disk
:-(((