Re: more net install

----- Original Message -----
From: tf <hmf@softhome.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 1999 10:46 PM
Subject: more net install

: howdy guys
:
: I'll try to be a bit more specific.  I'm attempting to get a full system
going from the base slink.  I just got a modem the other
: day and got it to ping my isp, but running apt-get update produces
(somthing close to) the following results:
:
: get http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
: 0% [connecting to http.us.debian.org]
: error http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
: could not open...
:

I had exactly the same problem, yet I knew my network connection was
working, and I could go to another machine (MS Explorer/Win98) and get to
those http addresses just fine.  I asked our network guy and he said the
problem was that our proxy server was in the way, that I should try ftp
instead of http, but it that didn't work he would remove my address from
being intercepted by the proxy server.

So in dselect after choosing apt you are given the option of providing a
list of network addresses for downloading.  I entered:

ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

and it worked.  In our system the ftp's are not intercepted by the proxy
server.  If you will read the dselect tutorial for beginners it makes
reference to this and provide a solution, but it requires a change to the
script that calls dselect and I don't see how you can do that when you are
running it from the CD, so really the install program/scrip needs to be
enhanced to give you such an option.

Actually I did not complete the download using ftp, I aborted it after our
network guy said he would change the proxy server to not get in my way, then
I ran the install with the http addresses just fine.

So unless some more knowledgable person can suggest a better solution try
the ftp route, and if it works fill us in with the details.  I know you also
need the ftp address of a non-US server too, I don't know it, which is
another reason I aborted.

Ron