Re: Why use Debian? Why not Red Hat?

On 03-Sep-99 Ron Stordahl wrote:
> David said:
>
>> How does zero floppy install stack up?
>>
>> I installed my latest Debian slink from a single CD with no floppy
>> at all. In fact the floppy did not work at all, a fact I didn't
>> discover until much later.  Once the system was up, I pulled all the
>> updates off the net.
>>
>> --David
>> David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
>
> Yes it can be done that way (no floppy and single CD), but with the binary
> now occupying 2 CD's, its best to boot from CD-1(most modern pc's support CD
> booting), do all the preliminary things....when you get to the dselect step
> you first do the U and I steps using CD-2, then repeat the U and I steps
> with CD-1 THEN do the A (Access) step selecting 'apt' and repeat the U and I
> steps and THEN do the C (configure step).  I am pointing this out simply for
> the benefit of beginners like myself who initially did not know the correct
> sequence for the 2 CD's.
>
> Of course you could skip the U and I steps with the CD's entirely, but
> unless you have a fast network connection downloading much of which is
> available on your CD's will be a lot slower than first taking advantage of
> what is on your CD's.

What I did with my system, and worked very well, is use both CD's at the same
time!  I have a CD-ROM drive and a CDRW drive.  I booted off the bootable one,
installed the base system, rebooted, mounted /dev/hdc on /cdrom, and /dev/hdd
on /cdrw, and added these lines to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb file:/cdrom/debian stable main contrib
deb file:/cdrw/debian stable main contrib

I then ran apt-get update, switched back to the Debian Install on console 1,
skipped [U]pdate, and ran Install.  Simple, no problems.

Of course, you have to have the second cd-rom.

I've also done floppy-less and cd-less installs on other machines, by copying
the base to another partition from Windows, installing the base, then pointing
dselect to the computer with the CD.

---
Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff
wim@netmaster.ca
www.canadianhomes.net/wim

Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche but only
be able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.
(Unknown source)