xauth

Hello once again! :)

I am hoping someone with more experience with X than I will help me out.

I have two machines running potato (yay! :) -- sarnold is running ipmasq
between amidala and the residential computer network here at school. Neither
machine runs xdm. (I like text-based bootups :)

I have no keyboard or monitor on sarnold.

I want to do something like this:
DISPLAY=amidala:0.0 ; rxvt (or netscape or mozilla or ... :)

But the error message I get is:
$ DISPLAY=amidala:0.0
$ xterm &
[1] 12927
$ xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

The xauth manpage suggests this:
%  xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh sarnold xauth merge -

on both machines I have running login, shell, and exec services.. (I also
sent the inetd a -HUP to cause it to re-read the /etc/inet.d file..)

The command (when executed from amidala) gives this:
$  xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh sarnold xauth merge -
Permission denied.

I have tried this too:
$ xauth generate :0 .
$  xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh sarnold xauth merge -
Permission denied.

On a whim I added a .rhosts file with the one word "amidala" in it. No
change.

Where did I go wrong? :)

thanks! :)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!