Re: dselect in xterm

On Sun 09/05/99 08:16PM, Brad wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Brian E. Lavender wrote:
>
> > When I use dselect in an Xterm the text is rather annoying compared to
> > the way it is in a plain terminal. When I open an Xterm, by default I get
> > black text on a white background. I am using Windowmaker, so I hold down
> > the ctrl key and click the middle button. I then enable reverse video
> > and get white text on a black background (the way I like it). When I run
> > dselect the packages listed show as black text on white squares. In the
> > description area, the text is black on white squares too. The area where
> > there is no text, the background is black, matching the reverse video
> > mode. In a regular terminal, it is not at all like this. In my xterm,
> > it is rather annoying. Any suggestions, so I don't have black text on
> > white blocks when running dselect from an xterm?
>
> i normally run rxvt instead of xterm, but i just did a test with dselect
> and i get the same results. Try running xterm with the -rv option.

I didn't have the original message, but anyway...

If you want to have white on black, you can just run the rxvt/xterm
with the -fg white -bg black options. Stick that in the menu file
under WM or however you want to do it. Another way, which I haven't
tried with rxvt, is to put the following in a .Xresources or
.Xdefaults file:

  xterm*Background: Black
  xterm*Foreground: gainsboro

I don't understand the reasoning for using reverse video. There must
be a reason it exists...anyone?
--
Mark Wagnon       )     Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __