Re: VMware on debian: module compilation

Hi,
>>"Regis" == Regis Duchesne <hpreg@vmware.com> writes:

 Regis> Thank you. My personal take on this is that these reasons were true
 Regis> with libc5 and they are not true anymore with libc6.

        What makes you think that? I see nothing, really, that has
 changed since the libc5 days that would warrant that statement.

 Regis> That's why it is time to argue again. My /usr/include contains
 Regis> links to my kernel headers, I upgrade my kernel often, and
 Regis> nothing breaks when I compile.

        Umm, anecdotal evidence l-)

 Regis> I think that the glibc headers do a far better job to isolate
 Regis> the kernel headers than the libc5 headers, and this is
 Regis> probably due to the fact that glibc headers are very portable.

        Quite so. But there is no reason have most software compiled
 with headers that conform to the kernel du jour rahter than the
 headers the C library was compiled with.

 >> Unfortunately the FHS does says that the kernel headers should be
 >> symlinked from /usr/include/{linux,asm}.
 Regis> I would love to see Debian switch to what the FHS 2.0 recommends.

        Actually, I hear that the FHS 2.1 may drop that
 requirement. The kernel itself certainly has: If you look at the
 latest kernels, there is no loner any recommendation that you link in
 /usr/include/blah stuff to your latest kernel headers.

 Regis> Thank you for this excellent pointer. As Ben Gertzfield, I do a lot of
 Regis> kernel development, and it is really cool to have the symlinks. That's
 Regis> why I didn't noticed the installation problem, btw.

        As a kernel developer, you know what you are doing.

 Regis> Anyway, my point is not to have you guys modify the policy. My point
 Regis> is to know what to do with vmware. I will probably modify the install
 Regis> script so that it prompts the user for the location of the running
 Regis> kernel headers.

        Thanks a lot. I genrally have about 6 kernel images installed
 on my development machine, and switch between them fairly often. Any
 flexibility in the module creation is appreciated.

        (Debian specific kernl modules ahve a better way around this,
 using ekrnel-package, but I do not expect a multi-distribution
 commercial software company to get thsi integrated).

        manoj
--
 "The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over
 any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent