Re: How to uninstall X

> > Since I'm having so much trouble getting the extended-half of my
> > keyboard to work (arrow keys, pg-up/dn, etc), I'm thinking it might be
> > good just to purge all X-related files and do a clean install of the X
> > Window System.
> >
> > Preferably someone can tell me how to fix my keys; alternatively, can
> > anyone tell me the best way to wipe X and do a clean install?
>
> Hi!
>
> To uninstall, deselect all X11 packages (by typing "_" in dselect) and do a
> remove in dselect.
>
> Hope this helps, Stephan Hachinger

Well, due to dependancy problems dslect will try to uninstall ALL packages
that are X-related, including Netscape and apps like that. I doubt that is
desired. The best solution would be to use
dpkg --force-depends --purge packagename
This will warn you about all the packages that depend on packagename, but
will remove the packagename without deinstalling anything else. I did this
to replace X in my machine also, works good.
Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu