3 things: exim, isdn, login.defs

Hello everybody.

I set up a mail server last week in our office and stumbled accross a
few items wher eyou can perhaps help me.

1) exim
-------
I check every 5 minutes wheter there is something in exim's queue ( if
(exim -bp | grep -q '.*'; ); then...) and if this is the case I go
online and force a queue run. Afterwards I go offline.

The problem I encountered is that exim does it queue run in the
backgroud which in generel might be a good idea but it is not in my
case since I have to do a while loop after initiating the queue run
until there is nothing more in the queue. This might raise problems if
my smarthost is down due to some reason and I never can flush the
mails.

So I'ld like to know wheter there is a way to tell exim to do it's
queue run in the foreground and exit when everything is done.

2) isdn
-------
I use isdn to connect to the isp. to go online I issue a 'isdnctrl
dial ippp0'.

I'ld like to know if there's an easy way to find out wheter I'm
currently connected or not.

With standard ppp this is quite simply since a '/sbin/ifconfig | grep
ppp0' would solve all my problems but with isdn the ippp0 device
always shows up in ifconfig and there's no way to tell it from
ifconfig alone.

So I did a
'route | grep ippp0 | grep default | grep -q  UG' which works most of
the time but fails sometimes. I don't know why.

Any ideas?

3) login.defs

I set SU_WHEEL_ONLY to yes in login.defs but somehow I can still su to
root as a normal user. Is there something I missed?

PS: I use slink with 2.2.12, isdn2linux that came with slink and
that's it.

TIA

--
Weasel                    http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~ppalfrad/
PGP encrypted messages prefered.   See my site for my PGP key.