Re: Why use Debian? Why not Red Hat?

On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 12:40:53PM +0000, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> Koyote wrote:
>
> Ah, but any more than one is a problem for a machine with a USB floppy drive!

Since most USB machines will have a bootable cdrom drive they dont have to use
a single floppy.

> I think you're missing my point.  RedHat has a floppy+CD system, with an extra floppy for PCMCIA

Debian has a zero-floppy system, if you have the cd.

> [snip...]
>
> Debian install complete, never used Windows!  But had to detour to RedHat to make it work.  Hence
> the suggestion: a single floppy net install for Debian would be real nice.  But might be not worth
> the effort, especially with USB support coming in soon- though that would have to be compiled in
> to the rescue floppy's kernel (not as a module), which would bloat it somewhat. :-(

I didnt use windows to install debian either (a good thing since the last
installations i made were on linux-only machines). I used the bootable cd on
the pcs with a cd drive, and nfs+ftp on the other ones. Of course, had I not
had a single cdrom drive I would have had to resort to other means...

Installing via nfs does require several floppies, I think 2 or 3 (including
the initial boot floppy).

-Lex