Re: re: Re: init id S

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 07:08:31PM -0500, Koyote wrote:
> > ttyS2 is there, plugged into the pcmcia slot. It is removeable, so I
> > guess I should make this a  mountable device?
>
> Wait a minute: wvdial finds the modem as ttyS2, but the boot process
> finds only ttyS1 with a 16550A UART....
>
> Now, I did go through and setup serial support in this install (it was a
> clean install to see how the installer copes with my scsi cdrom) and now
> I'm not getting the ttyS0 is a 8850 (? not sure I remember) that i used
> to get.
>
> What's up with that?

I'm not a PCMCIA guru but as I think when modem is on PCMCIA card line in
/etc/inittab should be only when this modem is in slot. And as I know this
is what (among other things) pcmcia-modules package does. It loads any
needed modules into kernel, inserts apropriate lines in configuration
files and restarts all neded daemons. And when card is disconnected it
works just in opposite way.

Just consult any linux-pcmcia-user (I'll try to speak about it with my
friend which works with such configuration).

--
|Leszek Gerwatowski|    _/_|_\
"Don't fix it if it isn't broken"