apt-get and the BESS proxy.

 G'day!
    I've been using Debian GNU/Linux for about two years now, on my home machines and at school.  Recently (as in this year) I was introduced to the wonders of apt-get.  I love it.  I used it at work all the time.
    But I'm back at high school.  My school uses BESS, the filtering proxy of choice I guess.  From what I can see, BESS uses a varient of Squid, and that is my background info.
    What I've found is that I cannot use apt-get from inside the school.  All HTTP/FTP ports are blocked at the router, so I've tried using the http_proxy env var with apt-get.
    This is what happens:
    # export http_proxy="http://bess-proxy1.caps.maine.edu:8695/";
    # apt-get update
 Get http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
 0%  [Packages 0/28.0k 0%] [Packages `Connecting to bess-proxy1.caps.maine.edu' http: Bad header line
 Get http://http.us.debian.org stable/non-free Packages
 0%  [Packages 0/28.0k 0%] [Packages `Connecting to bess-proxy1.caps.maine.edu'
 33% [Packages `Connecting to bess-proxy1.caps.maine.edu (130.111.42.6)' 0] [Cmpstdin: unexpected end of file
 http: Bad header line

 gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
 Fetched 28.0k in 0s (106k/s)
 ERROR http://http.us.debian.org/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
   Bad return code from subprocess
 ERROR http://http.us.debian.org/dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz
   Bad return code from subprocess

 Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

 Thank you all very much,
      Austin Brower
 --
 Austin Brower - Consultant
 Nosuch Networks - Network consulting for small business and homes.

    Anyone who breathes the spirit of American roots and values knows
    instinctively that censorship is the feeble response of an insecure,
    beleaguered society.
    -- Russell Sherman, "Piano Pieces", 1997