Re: Avoiding gpm before installing GNOME

Chanop> On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 12:55:35PM -0500, David Kanter wrote:
>> I'm going to try out GNOME this weekend, but have read about many
>> problems regarding it's gpm. How can I avoid gpm from being
>> installed during the installation? Will I be asked about this after
>> installing the package? And is it possible to use my regular xdm
>> with xbanner with GNOME? I assume it is.

Chanop> What is gnome going to do with gpm? It's X, isn't it? If you
Chanop> are talking about gdm, gnome display manager. For the current
Chanop> version, you should stay away from it if you want XDMCP
Chanop> function, last time I tried, it broke.

FWIW, I _did_ have a problem with Gnome vs. gpm.  It seems to be
specific to Enlightenment WM, though; now that I switched back to
WindowMaker it seems to be OK.  gpm was periodically dying with "Too
many open files".  My guess is that Enlightenment doesn't properly
shut down Unix sockets.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.